Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Value of Learning the Languages

Here are just a few quotes on learning the Greek language by some well known theologians:

Do I understand Greek and Hebrew? Otherwise, how can I undertake, (as every Minister does,) not only to explain books which are written therein, but to defend them against all opponents? Am I not at the mercy of every one who does understand, or even pretends to understand, the original? For which way can I confute his pretence? Do I understand the language of the Old Testament? critically? at all? Can I read into English one of David’s Psalms; or even the first chapter of Genesis? Do I understand the language of the New Testament? Am I a critical master of it? Have I enough of it even to read into English the first chapter of St. Luke? If not, how many years did I spend at school? How many at the University? And what was I doing all those years? Ought not shame to cover my face?
-John Wesley, An Address to the Clergy

Languages are the scabbard that contains the sword of the Spirit;
they are the casket which contains the priceless jewels of antique thought;
they are the vessel that holds the wine;
and as the gospel says, they are the baskets
in which the loaves and fishes are kept to feed the multitude. . . .
As dear as the gospel is to us all,
let us as hard contend with its language.

-Martin Luther

As can be seen the value of learning the languages can be great. But it comes at a cost....

You might not be able to watch so much TV.

read an excellent article here: http://new.theophilux.com/2009/01/19/does-your-pastor-read-greek-and-hebrew-i-sure-hope-so/

Study hard as if lives depended on it.

THEY DO!

No comments: